The S30 Ultra series is an upgrade to the former S30 series. The S30 featured laser modules of 5, 10 and 20W. The Ultra series now adds 11W, 22W and 33W. New 6W diodes are used compared to the 5.5W diodes of the former modules. Sculpfun listened to the communities feedback and integrated some convenience features into the new series. Remarkable features (among other smaller ones) in contrast to the S30 series are the emergency stop switch and safety lock, as well as upgraded stepper motors (4.2kg·cm).
The firmware for the Ultra series is available on the firmware pages.
Compatibility with older generations
The most frequent question when introducing a new series is the question of compatibility. Therefore, here are a few words about it right away. Some improvements (many of them user requests) have been integrated into the Ultra series. However, these improvements mean that compatibility with older generations of devices is not always given. Here are the most important facts:
- Within the Ultra series there are no more differences, all modules, and all frames are fully compatible. The lasers run with 24V system voltage. So, you can easily upgrade an 11W Ultra kit with a 33W Ultra module.
- The supply cable to the laser module has been improved. A thicker cable and a new connector (AMASS MR30-FB) are used. This means that older modules cannot be connected to the new units [a minor exception is the S30 Pro Max module, which could be connected if you change the module to use the new connector].
- Due to the new connector, the cables of the expansion kits do not fit either, so the 900×900 expansion currently does not fit the Ultra series.
- The mainboard is largely the same as the S30 series, but changes have been made here as well, including to the connector plugs for the laser module, so old cables do not fit directly on the mainboard either.
For people that know how to solder and create their own cables, most of those points are straightforward to solve as DIY.
The S30 series had quite different specifications for each model; therefore I created a table for each of them. The Ultra series only differs in power usage, so here is only one table for all models:
|Output Power||11W, 22W, 33W (optical output)|
|Laser Focus||0.08×0.08 mm, fixed focus|
|Laser Wavelength||455 +/- 5 nm|
|Engraving area size||Standard version is 600x600mm (true engraving workspace)|
|Machine electric power||84W, 114W, 156W|
|Air Assist||main board controlled air pump, voltage 24V, flow rate 30L/min|
Air hose inner diameter: 7.5mm
|Motherboard||32-bit motherboard, supports Bluetooth wireless connection|
|Power Supply||100-240V AC, 50/60HZ Output: 24V 7A|
The manual that is included in the box can be downloaded here: manual download (note: in this version I added some additional comments (green color), this is not the official version!)
Here is a gallery of all official product images of the Sculpfun S30 Ultra series:
Click to open image gallery
Official Description of the main features
- 600×600mm engraving area: the real engraving area is 600×600mm, which makes many of your works not limited by the area, and you can produce most of the large-scale cutting works. In addition, the 600×600mm area is very sufficient, and the service life is extremely long, and there is almost no need to upgrade the structure in future use.
- Enhanced 11W, 22W, 33W three laser options: S30 Ultra series laser uses a single enhanced 6W diode, which makes its actual laser power and cutting ability higher, and provides 11W/22W/33W three through combined design laser options.
- Professional safety design: S30 Ultra series is equipped with an emergency stop switch and safety child lock. In an emergency, tapping the emergency stop switch can stop the machine; after pulling out the key, the machine cannot be turned on, which can prevent children from turning it on mistakenly.
- One series One structure, easy to upgrade: S30 Ultra series models keep high compatibility in design, S30 Ultra 11W/22W/33W power adapter, structure, and laser cable are all the same. In future upgrades, 11W- 22W-33W you only need to replace the laser head without any other changes.
- Tool box, laser repair box, fixed-focus column holder: S30 Ultra provides professional tool storage boxes and maintenance tool boxes, including mechanical wrenches, tweezers, nozzle cleaners, etc., all of which are conveniently stored in boxes. In addition, a professional fixed-focus column storage box is provided on the machine, which is convenient for storing the fixed-focus column.
- Enhanced 42-bit stepping motor: Enhanced 42-bit stepping motor provides sufficient power to make the machine move at high speed. The torque reaches 4.2 Kg·cm (ordinary machines are 3.1 Kg·cm). In future upgrades, even if the laser or the load becomes heavier, there is no need to replace the motor.
- Replaceable protective lens: S30 Ultra series laser adopts innovative replaceable lens, which greatly improves the service life of the laser, which is more than 10 times longer than other general lasers. When the lens is damaged or after long-term use, the lens can be replaced to restore its cutting power. One free lens is included in the package with purchase, lenses are very cheap and can be easily purchased from SCULPFUN.
- Built-in high-pressure air-assisted nozzle: S30 Ultra series is equipped with an advanced high-pressure air-assisted metal nozzle, which can generate high-pressure airflow under the air pump, greatly improving cutting efficiency, and the cutting speed is more than 5 times faster than that without air assist. The powerful airflow blows away the residue, making the cutting surface very clean.
- Upgraded 32-bit air-assisted motherboard: the latest 32-bit motherboard supports automatic air-assisted control function, supports wireless Bluetooth connection to control the machine, and is not limited by the distance of the USB cable.
- Industrial-grade cutting precision: S30 Ultra adopts a strong 0.005 mm high-precision linear slide rail X-axis to achieve industrial-grade engraving precision. When comparing small engraving details, the S30 Ultra does not have the wavy patterns that appear on ordinary engraving machines.
- Detachable laser eye shield: S30 series is equipped with a detachable glass eye shield, which will not be dazzling even if you don’t wear glasses. Plus, you can easily disassemble it if you don’t need it.
- Solid and durable frame: The S30 series is made of high-strength aluminum alloy, and its frame can withstand a weight of up to 50KG without damage, which is very durable. The frame can be used for a long time and maintain high precision, when the machine needs to be upgraded, only the latest laser needs to be upgraded.
— Because of the powerful laser power, it is forbidden to run the engraving machine without supervision. Pause it if you’re not around.
— Detailed instructions for using the machine, please refer to the instruction manual for parameter settings.
— When operating the laser engraving machine, please install the laser protective cover; if it is not installed, you need to wear goggles.
— Do not touch the laser with your hands, or you may burn your hands.
— Please avoid strong impact on the machine.
— Children under the age of 14 are prohibited from using this product, and children over the age of 14 need adult supervision.
— Do not apply the laser directly to any specular reflective objects, which may cause injury to the operator or burn the laser.
Details about the S30 Ultra series
Here are a few detail shots of the laser module and the other components as they are shipped.
Setup / enclosure
Here are a few tips or hints for the setup as well as pictures of the laser set up:
Be aware! Many users are thinking “I need the highest power / flagship laser available”. I want to stress that with increasing power, the laser spot is larger (more diodes need to be overlaid) and therefore the engraving resolution is reduced! So make up your mind if maybe the 11W version is sufficient for your speed requirements, while much better in engraving…
The first reviews are available, see here: